CATALOG - LIBRARY CARDS - LIBRARY SERVICES - MOBILE PRINTING - MY ACCOUNT - PASSWORD HELP - ROOMS
The Fremont Public Library, located at 1170 N. Midlothian Road in Mundelein provides quality programs, classes, computers, and access to a wide variety of materials, from books to mobile hotspots.
The library provides a chance to connect with knowledgeable library staff, enjoy hands-on learning with craft kits for children, teens and adults, and meet with fellow book lovers through our in-person and online book discussions.
Our study rooms and meeting rooms are open and we are offering a large array of in-person, virtual, and hybrid programs. Fremont cardholders may reserve one of two meeting rooms that hold up to 30 people for free.
Learn more about our services or about our current remodel project here on the website, or click on the chat link in the corner to speak with a librarian.
Come on in and stay a while!
The Drive-Up Window is available during regular library hours up until 5 minutes before closing.
If you have longer transactions such as getting a new or replacement library card or paying a bill, please call the library at 847-566-8702 before coming to the window.
The Board of Trustees and the staff of the Fremont Public Library welcome you to your public library. We take pride in our current mission to Engage the Community, Inspire Creativity and Enrich Minds.
The Fremont Public Library District encompasses parts of Mundelein, Grayslake, Hawthorn Woods, Libertyville, Round Lake, Round Lake Park, and Wauconda. For more information about getting a library card or to see if you are in our district, click here.
The idea for a library in Fremont Township was born on April 5, 1955, when the residents of Fremont Township voted to create a “Free Public Library”. On December 2, 1955, the Fremont Township Public Library opened for business in a rented storefront located at the corner of Lake Street and Park Avenue in the village of Mundelein with a collection of approximately 6,000 items. The library was open from 2 pm-5 pm, Monday through Saturday, and library service was provided by one librarian, Miriam Peaco, and a group of volunteers.
Since then the library has continued to grow. In 1972 the Fremont Public Library District was formed as an independent taxing body, making Fremont the first library in Illinois to convert from a township library to a district library. In 1986 a remodeling project increased the library building on Lake Street to 13,800 square feet. In 1998 voters approved construction of a new library facility on land donated by Town & Country Builders to the Village of Mundelein. The village then donated the land to the library district.
The current building on 1170 N. Midlothian Road opened its doors in 2001 but with limited hours as the voters did not approve an operating increase. However, through natural growth of the district and good stewardship of funds and tax dollars, the library was able to gradually open to regular operating hours, a knowledgeable and friendly staff that provides wonderful programs and helpful services to the community.
As we continue into the 21st Century, the library continues to adapt to changes in society. Helping the community get through recessions, pandemics, and rapid changes in technology through classes, services, programs and changes to the interior of the library space.
We added a new circulation desk and opened up a bigger Audio Visual area in 2011, remodeled the Youth Services department in 2015, and just underwent a large-scale lighting project to change all the fixtures to be brighter and more economical. Right now we are engaged in a huge project to expand into the "shell" space that was left unfinished as a place the library could eventually expand into "in about 20 years." It's been 22 years since we moved into theis existing building and it's time for an upgrade!
We're open 9:00AM to 9:00PM
The two Wind SculpturesTM in front of the library were made by artist Lyman Whitaker. They were purchased in memory of longtime library supporters and former Board Trustees Sally LaMadeleine and Florence Patrick.