Free technology help is offered at Fremont Public Library District. Call 847-918-3225 to set up an appointment.
You can download electronic copies of books to your smartphone, tablet, or eReader from Hoopla and Overdrive. There are different titles available on each platform.
Overdrive allows patrons to to read eBooks through an internet browser or download eBooks for offline viewing through the free Overdrive app on computers, Android and iOS devices. Overdrive also offers digital audiobooks, which can be transferred from your computer to a digital device, or played on your device using the Overdrive app. To see a complete list of supported devices, visit Overdrive’s Device Resource Center.
If you would like to learn more about how to use our digital catalog, visit the Overdrive Help page which offers step-by-step instructions as well as short tutorials you can view. In order to view the tutorials, you must have Flash installed on your computer.
If you are using your internet browser:
- Visit Fremont Public Library's Overdrive site. Click on "Sign in" at the top right of the screen, select your home library, and then enter your library card number.
- If you have a Kindle or are using a Kindle app, choose the Kindle format. All other eBook readers use the EPUB format. If you are using a Kindle Fire, we recommend downloading the Overdrive app and choosing the EPUB format.
If you are using the Overdrive app:
- Download the free app from your device's store.
- Register the app with your library card number and your email address.
- Tap the left menu and choose "Add a Library" and select your home library.
- The app will direct you to Fremont's dedicated Overdrive site, where you need to enter your library card number to log in. (Your device will remember your login credentials.)
What digital software do I need?
- Kindle – no additional software, but Fire users may download the free Overdrive app if they so choose.
- Nook & other eBook readers – Adobe Digital Editions (you will need to create an account).
- iPad, iPhone & other smart devices – the Libby app (made by Overdrive), or the Overdrive app.
Things to keep in mind when using Overdrive:
- You are limited to 5 checkouts at any one time.
- You can place a hold on an unavailable item and receive an email alert when it is available. You can choose to have the hold check out to your account automatically.
- eBooks may be checked out for 1-3 weeks and may be renewed once if no other users are waiting for that title. The renewal option appears in your Bookshelf 3 days prior to the title's expiration date.
- To choose your checkout period, click on "Account" and "Settings" and choose your default checkout period for each format.
Hoopla Digital allows patrons to read eBooks and comic books through an internet browser or download eBooks and comic books for offline viewing through the free Hoopla app on Android or iOS devices. Hoopla also offers eAudiobooks, movies, TV shows, and music albums.
- Visit Hoopla and click “sign up now.”
- Select Fremont Public Library.
- Hoopla will prompt you to enter your email address, create a password, and enter your library card number.
You can also get started with Hoopla by downloading the free app.
Things to keep in mind when using Hoopla:
- You can check out up to 10 items per month. Episodes of TV shows count as individual checkouts.
- You can only download content when using the app. If you are using your computer, you can stream content. Once you've borrowed a title, tap the cloud icon in the upper right corner to download it to your device.
- All checkouts automatically return when the lending period is up.
- Titles are always available--no holds!